MEAN WELL is an international company established in Taiwan which has 245 authorised distributors across the globe, selling to over 80 countries. It’s one of the only manufacturers in the world which is dedicated to standard power supply products, accounting for 99% of their sales. As of March 2023, it was rated as the third biggest global power supply company in a report by Micro Technology.
One of those products is the DIN Rail Power Supply which contains almost 200 models, spanning a power range of 10 to 960W, outlining its capability to be effective for a variety of applications. The product has been widely used in factory automation, building automation, information communication equipment, data centres, railway transportation and many more industries. In this article, we’ll delve into why the MEAN WELL DIN Rail Power Supply is so popular among diverse disciplines. In fact, the product was one of the top ten highest-selling products on the Distrelec webshop in the last year!
What is a DIN Rail?
A DIN rail is a type of metal rail that is frequently used to attach industrial control equipment, such as circuit breakers, inside equipment racks. For compatibility with a range of electrical devices and components, the DIN rail’s size and dimensions are standardised.
For attaching circuit breakers, terminal blocks, power supply, and other control devices in industrial environments, DIN rails are frequently utilised. They range in size from 7.5 mm to 35 mm wide, with a common height of 15 mm or 7.5 mm. They are available in a variety of sizes.
Using DIN rails has a number of advantages, including modular installation and simple electrical component replacement. As a result, components can be added, removed, or replaced without the need for specialised tools or extensive wiring, making it simpler to build and maintain complicated electrical systems. Check out some of the models that MEAN WELL has to offer below.
The DRS-240/480 Series
MEAN WELL introduced the DRS-240 and DRS-480 series of new DIN rail-type all-in-one intelligent security power supplies to meet the large demands of the market in 2022.
The DRS-240/480’s multi-functional integration, which combines an AC-DC power supply, battery charger, DC-UPS, and communication monitor in a single small box, is its most appealing feature. The ability to accept a universal 90-305Vac input, compliance with safety control laws and alarm signals, and automatic load priority power balancing (the battery will be charged with extra power) are other great characteristics.
Additionally, the device has an integrated MODBus communication interface, and SBP-001 can be used to change the charging parameters. Through the front panel, the charging current setting (20%–100%) and 2-stage/3-stage charging curve may also be manually modified.
The versatility of the charging parameters makes the DRS-240/480 suited for a wide range of lead-acid and lithium batteries, popular in the renewable energy transition. The DRS-240/480 is one of the most comprehensive DIN rail PSUs for security and fire systems thanks to all these interfaces. The best fire safety system solution, including emergency communication equipment, fire emergency lighting, access control system, central monitoring system, etc., is provided by DRS-240/480.
- All-in-one function (DC power supply, battery charging, DC-UPS and communication protocols)
- Universal input 90~305Vac with PFC function (277Vac available)
- Signal and alarm design meet UL2524/EN54-4/GB17945 requirements
- Form C relays contacts is used to meet the safety regulation requirements
- Auto priority function. Supply the load when the AC power grid is abnormal (The battery will be charged with the rest of the surplus energy
- AC Fail, DC OK, battery low warning, charger fail
- Built-in MODBus protocol, optional CANBus protocol
- Complete protections: Output short circuit, OLP, OVP, OTP(Auto derating), battery cut off, reverse polarity protection
- Charging curve can be set with programmer: SBP-001
- 20~100% charging current adjustable by VR
- 2 stage or 3 stage selectable via DIP S.W
- -30~+70°C wide operating temperature
- Can be installed on DIN rail TS-35/7.5 or TS~35/15
- 3 years warranty
- Dimensions (WxHxD):
The DRC-180 Series
MEAN WELL also introduced the 180W DRC-180 series last year. With the DRC-40/60/100 Series being used widely in safety control, fire protection, information communication, automation control and other fields for many years, the DRC-180 fulfils higher wattage requirements.
- Universal input 90~264VAC with built-in PFC
- Fanless design, free air convection cooling
- -20~+70°C wide operating temperature
- AC OK and battery low voltage alarm (RELAY)
- Suitable for DIN rail mounting on TS-35/7.5 or TS-35/15
- Operation altitude up to 500m
- UL/CUL/DEKRA/RCM/EAC/CB/CE/UKCA safety approvals
- Size (WxHxD) = 63×125.2x115mm
- 3 years warranty
The DUPS20/40 Series
The DUPS20/40 Series was introduced to the market to offer a more cost-effective DC backup solution than the DR-UPS40 model, which has been available for the last 15 years. The newer generation DC-UPS module is used in conjunction with a power supply and an external battery to achieve the backup function. The main purpose of the DUPS20/40 is to monitor the DC output voltage and to charge the battery to ensure the continuous operation of the entire system. If power is interrupted, the load connects swiftly to the battery pack in order to avoid any data or financial loss.
- High reliability uninterruptible DC-UPS power supply diagnosis
- Easy installation with parallel connection to DC Bus
- Suitable for 24V system
- 2A battery charging current
- Remote monitoring for DC Bus voltage and battery status
- Protections: Short circuit/Battery reverse polarity protection/Battery over-discharge low voltage disconnect
- A wide working temperature range of -30~+70°C
- EAC/UKCA/CE safety approvals
- 3 years warranty
Considerations and applications
For more information about what to consider when choosing the correct DIN Rail PSU for your application, and the types of applications which a MEAN WELL DIN Rail PSU is perfect for, check out the video below: